8/29/2010

All the way... or not?

As most of you will know, I am a big supporter of music. This is quite obvious, since all my friends know I want to turn it into a job, wether this be behind the scenes or being on stage myself does not really matter to me that much. To me, music is music.
So, I've had this idea for a while with a friend to start a label. Rather for us really than as a goal to make it big with it and sign a lot of new acts. (This is ironic since I'd love to be an A&R-manager).
But this evening I was watching a talent show with my parents while at the same time surfing on the web and realized something I have been contemplating for some time but not until now realized the seriousness of it; over saturation of the music industry!
Sure this doesn't sound like anything too serious, because after all, we can make, produce and release our own music, go look up some random label and let them do it, or we enter some TV-Show that claims to have THE new talent of (enter the year). It makes me happy that so many people these days get a chance to express themselves and make it a hobby that pays off. On the other hand it frustrates me that it has become so easy for people to release a single on the air. Where are the blood, sweat, and tears that used to go into this? Where did the authenticity of the artist go? Not everyone may know, but as soon as you win Idols, Popstars, Starmaker, X-factor, (Your country) has got talent you end up singing other people their songs! And usually, you're as good as over after your first album...
I find it saddening that there are so many one hit wonders out there, that there are so many bands out there that you would not be able to distinguish if you did not know them by heart. I love music, and, granted, it's a shady business. I would love for all people to get an opportunity. But driving in that white van that keeps breaking down during the cold winters of Minnesota, or the warm summers of Nevada, having to carry your own drum cases, and playing with earplugs instead of in-ear monitors make great bands to what they are today. Blood, sweat, and tears is what it takes to create a bit of sound... I guess... it just shouldn't all be made too easy, because then you take it for granted too easily.
When you truly want this, one rejection isn't going to mean anything, neither will two, three, or twenty. Dedication is what it takes. And I guess, if you really want to enter in some type of talent show, that's fine with me, I won't judge you for it, but do ask yourself this; do you want to be associated with that? Because in my opinion, the truly talented and passionated, will make it... one way or another

No comments:

Post a Comment